Attestation is defined under Section 3 of the Transfer of Property Act. It is the act of witnessing the execution of a document and subscribing the name of the witness in testimony of such fact. The object of attestation is to avoid the element of fraud, misrepresentation or force in the execution of document.
Ingredients of Attestation
1.The attesting witnesses must be competent in law to attest.
2. There should be atleast two attesting witnesses.
3. The witness should be literate.
4. The attestor should sign in the presence of the executant.
5. The attestor has to sign after the execution of the document.
6. The attestor must actually witness the execution of the document.
7. The attesting witness should sign for the purpose of the transaction.