What documents need not be registered?
Indian Registration Act specifies about two types of document viz documents in which registration is compulsory and documents in which registration is optional. Section 17 deals which compulsory registered documents. Section 18 of the Act deals with documents in which registration is optional. A short note follows:
1) Documents transferring immovable property having value less than one hundred rupees need not be registered.
2) Receipts acknowledging payment of any consideration for creating, assigning, declaring, limiting or dissolving any right, title or interest in immovable property of value less than one hundred rupees need not be registered.
3) Leases for immovable property for any term not exceeding one year need not be registered.
4) Documents transferring decree or order of court over immovable property of value less than one hundred rupees need not be registered.
5) Wills need not be registered.
6) Any other documents in which registration is not made compulsory by Section 17 need not be registered.
As per Section 18 some documents may be registered ie. eventhough it is not mandatory, you may register these documents. But registration will invite some other formalities which should be complied with just like you have registered a mandatory registerable document. A lease deed extending more than one year has to be registered. For eg:-But if it is less than one year, it does not require registration. If you have registered such a lease deed, it has to be released vide a release or surrender of lease which also requires registration.
Please let me know your comments, either positive or negative and share your views. Thank you.